And Jesus, is it depressing. Like the whole Mukasey thing, with the evasiveness about torture. And all because adjectives are ambiguous. Is waterboarding torture? Well, golly, what constitutes torture? Something that is possibly cruel or unusual? I guess it isn't all that unusual to "[put] somebody in a reclining position, [strap] them down, [put] a cloth over their face and [pour] water over the cloth to simulate the feeling of drowning" (this all from today's New York Times transcript of the confirmation hearings). Or cruel. Oh no. In fact, Mr. Mukasey, why don't you volunteer for a fucking demonstration?
God, I hate this government. "If waterboarding is torture, torture is not constitutional." This is our (probably) new attorney general, people.
Ugh. I think instead of reading the paper, I should go back to watching old episodes of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Oh wait, I did already. That's why I got bored and had to read the paper in the first place. I should go back to reading novels: they're fiction and they resolve. Anyone have a good suggestion?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Impersonal details
- laura
- I work with the intellectually disabled by day, and plot homemaking exploits by night. Currently my interests include mastering the art and science of cookery, and reading cookbooks. (I do some other stuff, too.)
No comments:
Post a Comment