Two things happened today... I will drink heavily after I finish writing. While watching Buffy (ah, escapism).
The first thing that happened is my grandfather passed away. He was 97, almost 98. He was an amazing grandpa. My favorite two stories about him are: My two brothers were once trying to move a refrigerator into the garage (or somewhere). It must have been a Sunday or a holiday, because Grandma and Grandpa were at our house. Dude and Schnookles had a hand truck and still were having trouble getting the fridge wherever it needed to be. Grandpa comes outside. He was eighty years old at this time. He saw Dude and Schnookles trying to move the fridge and told them to move away. He walked into the garage, and picked up the fridge by himself and put it where it needed to go.
The second story is about how he'd always come over at about ten in the morning (my grandparents lived an hour away) and the first thing he'd say after walking in the house was, "Well, gotta leave early. Gotta feed my bird." Every time they came down. He didn't have a bird. He delighted in saying ridiculously false things and maintaining the perfect deadpan. He was the god of the straight face. I miss that.
The other thing that happened was I asked out my teacher, who I have had a crush on for most of the quarter, because today was our final. I wanted to ask him way before this, but all my friends and family said, "NO! You have to wait till the end of the quarter! It's inappropriate!" (In retrospect, I'm so glad I listened, because imagine asking him out, him refusing, and having to go to class mortified twice a week.) Although, there was definitely flirting. Not overt, not offensive, on either of our parts, but he liked me and I liked him, and we both could tell... Catching him looking at me (which was both discomfiting and so great). (Or maybe I am delusional and narcissistic, and he was just being friendly. But I don't want to think that.) And today, he gave me the nicest hug when I told him it was my last college class ever, and I thought, Oh, he has to like me. But I was too wimpy to ask him out in person. I went home and asked him via email. Even in refusal, he is the nicest guy ever, and a faithful boyfriend to his girlfriend.
Sigh. Sigh. Big Sigh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Impersonal details
- laura
- I work with the intellectually disabled by day, and plot homemaking exploits by night. Currently my interests include mastering the art and science of cookery, and reading cookbooks. (I do some other stuff, too.)
2 comments:
And then when Mom bought him the fake bird including cage...I think that's the most cracked up I ever saw him get.
One of the best things was Grandpa shoving Mom out of the way (from her own stove! at her own house!) so that he could properly watch over the spaghetti sauce. He was grouchy, but a good grouchy. He sort of reveled in it.
Sorry about the music teacher. I'm glad you asked him out, though.
Post a Comment